Article written by : Fion Ho, Ada Pian and Janesse Lau
Edited by : Delia Dumpangol
Maintaining a healthy diet is vital to protect us against malnutrition in all its forms as well as non-communicable diseases, such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke and cancer. People are now consuming more foods high in energy, fats, free sugars and salt/sodium, and many people do not eat enough fruit, vegetables and other dietary fibre such as whole grains. It is important that we take our diet into healthy consideration each day and select our foods wisely. In this article, we will provide a couple of healthy and yummy recipes that you can try to recreate at home!
Strawberries with Cream Oatmeal
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 medium banana , mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups of unsweetened non-dairy milk (soy, almond, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- Place all ingredients into a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium/high heat, stirring often.
- Once boiling, turn down to low and continue cooking for around 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Make sure to continue stirring throughout the entire process.
- Pour into a bowl and serve with more berries, chia seeds, and coconut cream (optional)!
Note : Don’t fancy strawberries? You can use blueberries instead.
You may opt for dairy milk if you don’t have non-dairy milk
Healthy Tuna Pasta Salad
- 3 cups uncooked pasta (I used bows)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna drained
- 2 tablespoons red onion chopped
- 1 cup little tomatoes halved
- 2 sticks celery chopped small
- 1 mini/Japanese cucumber chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Boil a large, salted pot of water for your pasta. Cook it al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, prep your other ingredients and add them to a large bowl (add the vinegar, oil, and salt & pepper after the pasta is done).
- Once the pasta is cooked, rinse it under cold water and let it drain thoroughly. Add it to the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Add the vinegar and olive oil to the bowl. You may want to add more oil and/or vinegar depending on your tastes. Season the pasta salad thoroughly with salt & pepper (it’s a lot of pasta so I added quite a bit). You can serve it right away or chill it first (cover the bowl) for the flavors to meld a bit.
- If you use macaroni for this salad, I suggest reducing the uncooked amount to 2.5 cups.
- As with any pasta salad, feel free to add more/less of any ingredient to make it perfect for your tastes.
Note by Delia : “This is super easy to make and it’s a family favourite in my home. Give it a try!”
Dessert / Drinks
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 4 ½ cups water, divided
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Ice cubes
1. Firstly, heat 3/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a small pan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the sugar has dissolved; about 2 minutes. Let it cool.
2. After that, place the blueberries and the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar in a blender. Blend until smooth.
3. Then, combine the simple syrup, blended blueberries, the remaining 4 cups of water, and lemon juice.