Eco Friendly Travel Tips
This week, Year 5 went on an eco-friendly trip to Shangri-La Resort, and I’ve decided to share some tips on how to have an environmentally friendly journey.
What you (might) need:
- Water bottle, instead of single-use plastic bottles
- Handkerchief, instead of tissue papers
- Sunblock (eco-friendly sunscreen if possible to avoid harsh chemicals from damaging the coral reefs and ocean life)
- Metal straws and cutlery (cutlery optional)
- Mosquito repellent (eco-friendly spray if possible)
For starters, I recommend going to Shang-Ri La Resort. They have many eco-friendly initiatives, such as 50% of the lights are energy efficient and they use environmentally friendly chemicals.
During our trip, we learned about all the eco-friendly initiatives included in Shang-Ri La. Here is what we did:
We had a presentation on what the hotel does to help the environment. There are many eco-friendly initiatives.
Year 5 visited the STAR Marina and the Clownfish Discovery Center, made to raise awareness for the protection of clownfish.
We were taken on a guided tour of the resort, including a look behind the scenes.
Split into groups, we interviewed the staff on what jobs they did, what they believed in that will help to preserve the environment, what kind of daily activities they did to minimise harmful impact to the environment, and other questions as well.
I believe that this is a wonderful place to visit if you’re looking for an eco-friendly stay. The resort has put in enormous effort into promoting Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. This trip has taught me the importance of caring for the environment, primarily on what we can do to protect marine life and the ocean.
Looking at Borneo Artifacts
Alternatively, if you would like to stay right in nature, outdoor camping is a highly recommended activity. Let’s point out a few benefits on how camping can help you to appreciate nature and be more eco-friendly.
The benefits of camping:
- Get close to nature
- Relaxing your mind with the sights and sounds
- Take a break from electronic devices and stress
- Learn to live without the conveniences of modern appliances, eg washing machine, air conditioner
- Teach yourself how to reduce carbon footprint
If everyone starts practising eco-friendly habits, the world will be a better place for all of us and the next generation!